Reading Time: 6 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
You have gone out and bought a brand-new journal and new pens. All in the hopes of journaling, you feel overwhelmed though because there is no journaling prompts inside the journal. You have no idea what to journal about.
I know how that feels. When I first learned about journaling and all the benefits that journaling had. I remember thinking “that’s great but where do I start”. I had absolutely no idea what to journal about.
I want your journaling experience to go much more smoothly than mine did. I don’t want you to get stuck on what to journal about or where to start.
I want you to be able to reap the benefits of learning about yourself through journaling.
I do believe the best way to start is to just start. There are no right or wrong answers when it comes to journaling. Remember the journal is all about you and your day or your experiences.
You will learn quite a bit about yourself as you follow the journal prompts and began writing. If you become overwhelmed by what you learn then take a break and call a safe person. You don’t have to push yourself if you become upset or anxious.
One last thing before we start. Remember this is your journal so feel free to write what you want in it. Don’t censor yourself or your words. This is one tool of self-improvement that is just for you and nobody else.
If it helps you feel better hide your journal. That way nobody else can see what you have written. Now with all that out of the way grab my hand and let me guide you with your journaling.
- How do I feel
- What do I need today
- What is one thing I can see that I am grateful for
- What is the biggest lesson I have learned
- I feel happiest when
- What am I looking forward to
- What is my happiest memory of this month
- The people in my life who bring me joy
- What am I excited about today
- Who is my best friend? Why?
- What makes a great friend
- My favorite hobby
- ‘Who do I look up to? Why?
- My favorite movie. Why?
- My favorite song. Why?
- What is one thing I wish I could change
- What am I dreading’
- What did I dream about last night
- What do I think my dream means
- What are 3 steps I can take today to be healthier
- What is my ideal day
- A moment in my life I will not ever forget
- My first memory I have as a child
- The most important day of my life was when
- 10 people I want to meet
- What 3 wishes I want granted
- My favorite family tradition
- Which podcasts do I like
- My favorite holiday. Why?
- I learned _________ this year
- I haven’t ever…
- What is my favorite animal. Why?
- Who is my hero? Why?
- What is my favorite color? Why?
- Why I want to start journaling
- What I love most about my family
- My favorite time of the day
- My dream job
- Who my first crush was
- Describe your first kiss
- Favorite book. Why?
- 5 affirmations I like
- My biggest priorities
- 2 bad habits I have
- 5 best moments of your life
- My most amazing childhood memory
- What is my favorite way to exercise
- What is my favorite food
- My fitness goal
- A skill I would like to learn
- Describe your childhood
- My childhood hobby
- My favorite toy growing up
- One place I would love to travel to
- The road trip I loved the best
- Favorite field trip in school
- 5 places I would love to visit
- What is your New Year goal
- List 5 things grateful for
- Who am I grateful for
- Why is gratitude important
- Do I need to show more gratitude daily
- I am grateful for my family because
- I am grateful for my body because
- I am grateful for my friends because
- Describe a lesson you’re grateful you learned
- List 3 things you are grateful for that you can see right now
- I am grateful for my job because
- I am grateful for my spouse because
- Write about a family member your grateful for
- What mistakes or failures are you grateful for
- I am grateful for _____ Why?
Personal Growth/Self Discovery
- What makes me feel guilty
- What makes me smile
- What limiting beliefs are holding me back
- What actions can I take to simplify my life
- What is holding me back from being productive
- How in tune are you with your body
- What could I do to feed my soul today
- My worse fear I have
- When is the last time I just enjoyed nature
- One person dead or alive I would like to meet
- What does happiness mean to you
- If today was your last day, what would you do
- What is your ideal day
- What am I lacking in life
- Do I really like being alone? Why or why not?
- What do I feel guilty about today
- Why do I feel so alone
- Who in my life do I need to make stronger boundaries with
- What is one thing I would change in my life
- What makes me smile
- What are my core values
- If I knew I couldn’t fail, I would ________
- What is holding me back
- My biggest fears
- What is stressing me out the most
- What is my 1 year goal
- What is my 5 year goal
- What is my 10 year goal
- Could I be a better friend
- What are my personal strengths
- Why do I want to change
- How have I grown this year
- I feel most at peace when
- How can I experience more joy in my life
- How can I reduce the stress in my life
- Do I need to tell someone the truth about something
- What am I lacking in life’
- Who do I need to forgive
- How can I reduce the stress in my life
- What do I love about myself
- What activity could I do to show myself love
- What is the most important thing about myself I am loving right now
- What makes my heart feel joy
- If I could change one thing about myself, what would it be? Why?
- How do I show myself love
- Do I have to have someone else love me for me to love myself
- Who do I look to for validation
- What could I learn about myself today
- What is one thought that I don’t like thinking about myself
- What is on my bucket list just for me to do
- What is the one thing I love doing ( More than anything in this world)
- Name 3 things I love about myself
- What is something I am looking forward to
- One thing I do not like about myself? Why?
Make Journaling a Habit
With all the journal prompts listed above you can make journaling a daily or weekly habit. This is great for your mental health and wellbeing. There are going to be times that you are not going to want to journal. During those times pick an easy prompt and just write a couple of words.
The important part is that you are at least setting down getting out your journal and writing something in it daily or weekly.
When I first started journaling I thought that it was stupid and a waste of time. I would get thinking that I know what I am doing daily and I know all the answers to the prompts people give me.
That I didn’t need to write anything out. I gave it try though. What did I have to lose I was already miserable and not liking life so much.
I got so many benefits out of journaling. I actually learned a lot about myself. I would just pick a prompt and start writing. No editing myself just writing what came to my mind about the subject I picked.
Your thoughts may be like mine and I get it. I really do. I am telling you though just give it a try. You will be amazed at what all comes out.
Leave a comment below to let me know which prompt you will try to write about first or your thought about journaling. Subscribe to my blog and let’s get to know one another.
I will be the person that will listen to you without any judgment. We all have stories. Find yours with journaling.