Reading Time : 6 mins
The Beginners Guide to Self-Improvement
Self-Improvement is important for mental, physical, emotional, social, and spiritual health.
When you go on a self-improvement journey the important thing to remember is that it is not a race.
You will be doing work for days, weeks, and even years on yourself.
The best part I believe is that when you change your thinking, your actions will follow.
I remember when I first started out on my self-improvement journey how scared I was.
I didn’t know what I was going to find out about myself or how much work it would take.
I knew I didn’t want to set and hum or meditate by someone talking about me focusing on body parts.
Not that there is anything wrong with those methods, they just were not right for me.
I needed something more physical to work on like writing or reading.
I quickly learned that there is so much more to self-improvement than just writing in a journal and reading self-help books.
There was so much that I learned in my first year about myself.
- Such as learning how to look inside me for strength to keep caring in life.
- To know that there are things that were my fault (even painful events that happen to me)
- To look inside me for the happiness I wanted and stop depending on outside sources to make me happy
- That I can not control people, places, or events in life.
- I can make myself happy
- I can be my own worse critic
- I am harder on myself than anybody else was in my life
- No there is no magic way to change who I am overnight, that it will take time
Have to say I did not like everything that I found out about myself.
When I looked in the mirror and really looked at the person I was, which side note was really hard for me to do.
I didn’t like the woman looking back at me.
So I knew it was time for a change.
That was the first step in my journey, was admitting that I needed to work on myself.
I learned about change from my mentor, therapist, friends, my mom, and blogs.
I am here to help you through your journey now.
By no means am I done with mine. I don’t think we ever stop or reach the end of this journey.
We might find our purpose or reach our goals.
However, we are always changing, which leaves us to always learn.
So grab my hand and clear your mind.
We are going to start your self-improvement journey together.
What Is Self-Improvement
There are so many different thoughts and ideas on what self-improvement is.
I decided to go look in the dictionary and find the definition.
The definition of self-improvement is the improvement of one’s knowledge, status, character by one’s own effort.
I believe this is absolutely true. It does take a great effort from the person that is wanting to self-improve.
Nobody can do this for you. All the work has to be done by you.
So what is self-improvement to me?
For me it means that I am going to work on every area of my life, also it will improve my body, mind, and soul.
Self-improvement areas are mental, emotional, physical, spiritual.
I will be giving you the steps and information you need for your journey.
Remember though it is up to you to take the steps.
How to get started with Self-Improvement
To get started with your self-improvement journey you won’t need to go out and buy a bunch of supplies or products.
To start this journey you just need to do these steps.
- Find a mentor or a coach – you need someone that can hold you accountable and be able to help you set goals. I suggest a mentor or a coach because I find that they are easy to open up to and be 100% honest with.
- Set some goals you want to reach to better your life – it doesn’t have to be big, huge goals at first. I started with small goals at first. I did this, so I could see that I am able to reach and accomplish my goals.
- Have a positive attitude – don’t go into this journey with a negative mindset. Positivity will get you so much further in your journey. Negative thoughts will come up. Just feel them, process them, and then move on to the next step.
- Have a journal and a pen to write down your goals and your thoughts – there really is power in writing down your goals.
- Look at this daily and write down your process. If you have no progress that day then that is alright, just keep moving forward. We all have bad days.
- Be willing to learn a new skill – you will be learning skills to help change your life. Be willing to at least try a new skill out before deciding if the skill is for you.
- One skill I thought I would never enjoy is meditating. I had mentors tell me to give it a try and to truly really give it a try, not to just meditate halfway and decide. Come to find out I like to meditate.
Tips for Success in Self-Improvement
- Don’t try to be perfect – let go of perfectionism
- Forgive yourself and others – forgiveness is for you, not for the other person
- Stay motivated on your journey – don’t get down on yourself build yourself up
- Express gratitude daily – gratitude is a great way to lift up your mood
- Have positive affirmations close by – write down some positive things about yourself and read when you feel down
- Start meditating – this does help clear your mind before you start your day
- Look in the mirror and let the person know looking back at you that you love them.
- Be patient with yourself you will mess up and it will suck
- Remember nobody is perfect
Common Questions/FAQ About Self-Improvement
- How can I improve my self-improvement?
- You can do this by showing gratitude on a daily basis, be kind to yourself (you will mess up on some things), be kind to others, complete a random act of kindness, get enough sleep at night, and write honestly in your journal.
- Where do I start self-improvement?
- Start by getting a mentor/life coach. Do not go about doing this on your own. Set your goals no matter how big or small your goals are. Write down your goals in your journal that you have picked that are important to you to work on now. Learn something new every day.
- How can I improve myself daily?
- You can do this by setting small daily goals. Make a to-do list that you are able to accomplish in that one day. Don’t set yourself up for failure by scheduling way more than you can do. Learn something new no matter how big or small the lesson is. Learn to say “no”. “No” is a complete sentence.
- Why is self-improvement so hard
- We take on too much at once. Don’t try to accomplish more than you can handle. Work on one goal at a time. I tried at the beginning of my journey to accomplish 3 goals at once. To say the least, I wasn’t able to, and I failed. That leads to the next point, do plan on failure. Yes, it will happen so pick yourself up and learn from it.
- What are the 5 areas of self-improvement?
- Why are we afraid of change?
- We fear change because it is the unknown. As humans, we fear the unknown. We will make up scenarios and events that are negative. These scenarios and events haven’t even happened yet, but we have ourselves convinced that it will happen just like how we think, so we fear the change.
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Self-Improvement
. You can do this, you are strong enough.
Grab my hand and let me guide you through self-improvement.
I know that it may seem scary at first.
It is so worth it though the rewards you get back are beyond anything you can imagine.
Have someone by your side to go on this journey with you.
Stay motivated and work on your goals daily.
Take small steps to accomplish your goals if you have to.
Remember this is not a race it’s a journey.
If you have enjoyed this article then please leave a comment at the bottom.
Tell me where you are in your journey. Are you just starting?
Have you been on this journey for a while but feel stuck?
Let me know. Tell me if there is something that you would like to work on and how I can help you reach your goal.